Apple will send out invitations to a special iPad mini event that will take hold on October 17 - the rumor says


ipad mini

A new rumor says that press should receive invitations to Apple’s special iPad mini event on October 10 and that the tablet will be unveiled on an event October 17.
I still don’t believe Apple will launch an iPad mini. I think the leaks and rumors is actually just the iPad 4 we are seeing. A slimmer, thinner and lighter iPad 4.
But if they do that, then of course it will be a direct competitor to Amazons’s new Kindle Fire HD and Barnes & Noble’s Nook HD, Nook HD+ and of course also Googles Nexus 7.
But what will the price be on such device from Apple? I mean, the iPod Touch is quite expensive at $299 already, so it will be hard to have a lower price than that. Maybe a price of $349 is reasonable. But personally I think that is too expensive. I think they need to have a price around $199 - $249 to compete.
But maybe it will be complete iCloud[1] based so that we don’t need much storage at all? If so, it could be very cheap. That would be cool.

Musings & Thoughts:

Jake Gove
Let the speculation begin. Will Apple price an 8GB model at $199? 
Nick Moore
Perfectly happy with my regular sized new iPad, but if these come in under the cost of an iPad 2 they’ll make my kids Xmas list. If only to get my 3yr old off mine :-)
Jake Gove
Same for me, the device to get my kids off my full-size iPad.
Stefan Svartling
I don’t think they will have an 8GB model. I think the low end will be 16GB
Personally I think the ipad is too big and heavy as a consuming device. As a content creation and productive device it’s prefect though. But you can’t lay on your side in bed reading on it for example. I think a 7-inch tablet is prefect for consuming.
Nick Moore
I’ve never had any issues with size or weight. Maybe I’ll be swayed when I get my hands on a Mini if they appear in stores in a few weeks time. :-)
Stefan Svartling
Have you tried laying on your side reading with it? :) Very awkward. If you want to produce content I think the iPad is excellent. But if you only want to use it for reading (like I want), I think a 7-inch tablet is better.
Karl Eriksson
Then our theory about the new ipod touch was the ipad mini is broken..
Stefan Svartling
I don’t think so. No one knows the name of it yet. It could still be a bigger iPod touch
Scott Jackson
If Apple can get the weight down and be very competitive on price than this will be a must have device for many. The big draw back for me when going to the iPad 2 to the new iPad was the weight. Even though the retina display is just incredible, the weight is too much. Look at the iPhone 5 as an example, Apple managed to make the phone bigger, yet lighter and the battery is still the same on performance. Amazing! They need to figure this out, and this new iPad mini has to be well under 3/4 of a pound, hopefully under 1/2 pound. If this is true I am picking one up no doubt. 
Stefan Svartling
I believe that if they do an iPad mini it will be a lot lighter and very confortable to hold.

  1. iCloud is a cloud storage and cloud computing service from Apple Inc. announced on June 6, 2011, at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference ( WWDC). It stores your music, photos, apps, calendars, documents, and more. And wirelessly pushes them to all your devices. Search for more info.  ↩


Comments